The 100 Pennies Science Experiment
• 100 pennies
• deep clear container
• Styrofoam plates
- Fill the container half full of water.
- Place the Styrofoam plate onto the water so that it floats.
- Ask children to predict what will happen when a penny is added to the plate.
Will the plate sink or continue to float?
- Continue adding pennies and asking for the children’s predictions.
- When several pennies have been placed on the plate, ask children
to predict how many pennies will float.
Will the plate hold 100 pennies?
- Record predictions on a chart.
- Compare the predictions with the result.