The professor’s next stop is Greece, home of the first Olympic games.
Study the Words
• Read the featured words. What do you notice? What is the meaning of each homonym?
• Make a study list. Follow the Study Tips to help you learn to spell the words.
Here are some hints to help you know which word to use.
Be loud when you read aloud.
He sent me some presents.
Use the Words
• Write each word on a card. Then make a set of clue cards with pictures or sentences that show the meanings of the words. Trade with a friend and match the cards.
• Make a page for a class book of homonyms. Each page should list one homonym pair with pictures and sentences to show each word’s meaning.
• Write sentences that include homonym pairs. Underline each homonym.
For example: We stayed in an inn.
WORKSHEET & Sample PDF Activity
Sample PDF Activity
The professor is visiting the ancient temple of Athena in Athens, Greece. The temple is almost 2,500 years old!
Solve the clues to finish the crossword.
2 No one is to take stones from the temple.
5 You can almost feel the of ancient people in the temple.
6 Greece is the of the first Olympic Games.
8 Badgers into the Greek hillsides.
9 The temple of Athena is Athens.
10 The deep blue sea that borders Greece’s coast is a lovely .
1 A Greek woman invited the professor to be a at her home.
2 The guide asked everyone not to say anything .
3 The professor bought for his friends.
4 In Athens, the professor stayed in an .
7 Bulgaria is located near the northeast of Greece.
8 The professor rode a to the temple.
Athena was a Greek goddess. The Ancient Greeks believed that Athena and other gods lived on Mount Olympus. The first Olympics, held at the base of the mountain, were in honor of the gods.
Ancient Site – Answer Key