Activity Ideas Grade Level: 2–5
Subject: Language Arts/Spelling
Create crossword puzzles on curriculum subjects or other topics of interest.
• TREND Black 2″ 3-D Ready Letters® (T-79401) or other TREND letters of choice
• TREND Wipe-Off® Calendar (T-1170)
• TREND Wipe-Off® Markers (T-98004)
• White board or other magnetic surface
• Self-adhesive magnets (two types: lightweight and heavyduty)
• Computer with Internet access or crossword creation software
• Writing paper and pencil
WORKSHEET & Sample PDF Activity
Sample PDF Activity
Crossword Fun Directions:
You will be able to use this activity frequently for many topics or subjects. It’s fun and engaging, and kids will enjoy it every time.
- Cut the squares out of the calendar so that you have a total of 42 squares.
- Cut self-adhesive flat magnets into small pieces and affix to two or four edges on the back of the squares.
- Punch out all of the Ready Letters® and affix one of the heavy-duty magnets to the back of each letter. The letters can be laminated for durability.
- Write clues and answers on any subject or topic of interest.
- Arrange the answers to create your own crossword puzzle or use a crossword creation program on the computer.
- Arrange the calendar squares into the crossword design on the magnetic board and use a Wipe-Off® marker to number the squares appropriately to complete the crossword puzzle.
- Number the clues to match the answers as arranged on the puzzle.
Challenge your friends to solve the puzzle and create new puzzles.