Set Up, Directions & Instructions
Playful pups make it fun to build words! Players match head cards (word beginnings) with tail cards (word endings) to earn points. As they play, kids build phonics skills and decode unfamiliar words. Aligns with learning standards. 100 playing cards. 1 to 4 players.
Ages 7 and up.
1st Grade to 3rd Grade
How to Play Sound Hounds™
Put heads with tails…you’re making words!
Now that’s something to bark about.
WORKSHEET & Sample PDF Activity
Sample PDF Activity
Let’s Set Up the Action:
• Separate the green head cards from the blue tail cards.
• Add the Wild Card to the head card pile. It can be used for any beginning sound. Shuffle both piles.
• Lay both stacks face down.
• Everybody in! Draw 3 tail cards. Lay them face up.
• Set the tail card stack aside. Use these strays for your next game.
• Choose a player to start.
Hunt Down the Sounds:
• Start sniffing! Draw one green head card. Match it with one of your tail cards to make a word.
• Made a word? Check to see if the word is spelled correctly. Sniff out the spelling in a dictionary just to be sure.
• No word this time? Put that head card face up to start a discard pile.
• The next player chooses the top card from the stack or from the discard pile.
• Keep taking turns.
• To win, be the first to make 3 words with each of your tail cards (9