World Maps vs Globes
Unlike globes, world maps are flat. On a world map, South America is just shown as being east of Australia. On a globe, you can see that Australia is really on the opposite side of the world from South America. Globes are good for showing where places really are on the Earth. World maps are good for helping you to know what all those places are.
Look at a world map. You can see all the continents and oceans. On a globe, you would see only half of those things. You would have to turn the globe to see the rest
WORKSHEET & Sample PDF Activity
Sample PDF Activity
Study a world map. Use the map to answer the questions. Darken the circle by your answer choice.
- Which continent is located below 60° S?
- On which continent is the United States located?
- Which continent is an island?
- To travel directly from South America to Europe, which direction must you go?
- Through which of these continents does the Prime Meridian run?
- To travel directly from Australia to Africa, which ocean must you cross?
- Which ocean touches both South America and Asia?
- Which ocean is the most northern?