Pop-Up Cards and Books for Grades 1–4
Grade Level: 1–4
Subject: Multiple Subjects/Art
Create pop-up books or cards to present information or to use as gifts.
• TREND Sea Life Stencils (T-65006)
• 9″ x 12″ construction paper, variety of colors
• 81⁄2″ x 11″ computer or typing paper
• Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
• Stickers (optional)
WORKSHEET & Sample PDF Activity
Sample PDF Activity
Pop-Up Cards and Books Directions:
- Fold an 81⁄2″ x 11″ sheet of paper in half creating an 81⁄2″ x 51⁄2″ rectangle.
- Open the paper and in the center make two parallel cuts across the fold that are approximately 1″ in length, 11⁄2″ apart.
- From the back of the paper gently push out the tab and reverse the fold to create a pop-up box (see illustration).
- Fold a 9″ x 12″ sheet of construction paper in half to match the other paper. Glue the folded pop-up sheet into the folded construction paper. Design a cover with a title on the outside of the construction paper.
- Trace the stencil on a piece of construction paper and cut out the animal.
- Position the cutout to align with the bottom fold of the pop up. Apply glue to the front of the pop-up section and press the cutout into place.
- Decorate the card with a background scene for your sea life animal.
- Add a caption or story to go along with your pop-up card.
A. Instead of a single pop-up, you may choose to create a double pop-up card. Make four cuts across the fold of the inside paper, two about an inch apart near the left side and two about an inch apart on the right side. Now trace and add two pop-up animals.
B. Single pop-up cards can be combined to make multi-page books. Glue the outside top of one pop-up sheet to the outside bottom of another pop-up sheet. Use up to four pop-up sheets, then insert the sheets into a construction paper cover.
Use other TREND stencils or other products, such as Classic Accents®, to create pop-up cards and books on any theme.