Introduce young learners to data collection with these engaging glyph activities that connect to year-round themes and concepts! As kids create and compare pictures that convey information about themselves, they'll build important math skills, including representing, analyzing, and interpreting data, communicating findings, and making meaningful connections to the information they collect. Activities also boost critical thinking, vocabulary, and social skills. Lessons include step-by-step directions, easy-to-read legends, glyph patterns, and activities -- such as using the glyphs to create graphs, charts, and Venn diagrams -- that enhance and extend learning. Connects to NCTM standards!
1. Introduces data-collection in a fun, motivating format!
2. Helps kids represent, analyze, and interpret data
3. Extension activities use the glyphs to create graphs, charts, Venn diagrams, and more
4. Builds and reinforces critical math skills
5. Encourages making math connections to personal experiences
6. Ideal for whole-class, small group, and independent learning
7. Connects to NCTM standards