Ideal for preparing your sixth-grade students for state writing assessments and meeting new standards, this series provides scaffolded text-based writing practice with essential writing forms, such as:
• Cause and effect
• Compare and contrast
The 12 units provide activities that prepare students to complete text-dependent writing prompts.
Each unit begins with a unit focus and lesson checklist to guide students through the learning path, which includes:
• a dictionary page that introduces content words
• close reading of a leveled nonfiction article
• text-dependent comprehension questions to support understanding
• a graphic organizer to help students organize information from the article and plan their writing
• a text-dependent writing prompt
• a writing evaluation that guides students in evaluating their essay
Teachers will appreciate these additional resources and features!
• Downloadable home-school connection activities and projects help teachers encourage learning at home.
• Common Core State Standards correlations are located on each unit for easy reference.
• The reading level is provided to help identify appropriate texts.
• The suggested learning path helps teachers pace the lesson, and makes scaffolding easy!
The sixth grade content-area topics fall under these categories:
• Health articles
• Science articles
• Social studies articles
• Technology articles
• Visual arts articles