Autism In Your Classroom
- Out Of Stock
- Product Code:
- WOODBINE HOUSE
Written by two neuropsychologists with extensive clinical and classroom experience, this new book is a concise, easy-to-read guide developed for primary school teachers (grades K- 6).
Part I provides a complete overview of the types, causes, characteristics, and treatments of autism spectrum disorders. It also explains various secondary characteristics of autism that create challenges for students, such as sensory abnormalities, behavioral issues, and limited social skills and peer interaction.
Part II focuses on the student in the classroom: It covers a variety of strategies to manage learning & behavior, such as:
* Modifying classwork & homework
* Helping with language difficulties
* Using visual strategies
* Keeping students focused & organized
* Teaching reading & math
* Using positive reinforcement & rewards
* Handling challenging behavior
* Explaining autism to other students
* Teaching social skills in the classroom
* Balancing the needs of typical and special students
Part III features two useful case studies. Both stem from the authors' hands-on work and consultation with teachers, students, and parents. The book concludes with an appendix of frequently asked questions about children with autism asked by educators.